With the weather warming up and the dry, windy conditions continuing in Townsville, with little chance of rain, it is important that we’re aware of the heightened risk of fires breaking out. There are a few things you can do to protect your home from fire.
- Clean up and dispose of any garden waste such as leaf litter, dried palm fronds and lawn clippings from around your home and keep your lawn mowed short.
- Clear your gutters, roof and downpipes of leaves and other debris that could easily catch fire.
- Trim any trees or shrubs that are close to your home.
- Remove flammable material from around your house, such as doormats, furniture, toys and firewood.
- Consider displaying a Stable Water Supply (SWS) sign outside your home if you have a pool, dam or water tank on your property. This helps firefighters identify available water sources to use to combat fires.
- Check that your home and contents insurance is up to date and discuss your Bushfire Survival Plan with your family and neighbours.
- Seek out information. Do not assume that you will receive a warning.
- Be aware of the Fire Danger Rating in your area and stay up-to-date by regularly checking your state department’s website and social media pages.
The following links provide useful information in regards to preparing your Bushfire Survival Plan and updates on bushfires in Queensland.
If you require assistance preparing your home for bushfire season feel free to give Gutter-Vac Townsville a call on 0412 309 379 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for a free quote. We can remove any leaf litter and debris from your roof, gutters and downpipes and dispose of all the mess for you.