So why is it important to clean your ceiling cavity you may ask? Maintaining the cleanliness of your ceiling cavity is often neglected until an issue arises. However, it’s crucial not to overlook this area of your home. Regular cleaning every 5 to 7 years is essential to ensure optimal air quality and eliminate potential health hazards.
When it comes to cleaning your ceiling cavity, we come across various objects, both common and uncommon. Some are harmless and some are harmful. This is why it is best to have professionals clean your ceiling cavity to avoid any risks to yourself or your loved ones.
Common Objects Found in Ceiling Cavities
The ceiling cavity refers to the space between your house ceiling and roof. It’s a hidden area rarely visited and often becomes a storage spot for items that remain untouched for years. Some common items found in a ceiling cavity include:
- Old household items and clothing
- Leftover building materials and construction waste
- Debris from previous construction projects
- Hazardous chemicals like chlorine, fuel, and oil
These objects not only add weight to your ceiling, leading to potential sagging but also pose a fire hazard. Airborne particles such as dust and dirt from coal burning, vehicle emissions, and industrial activities accumulate in the cavity, creating an ideal environment for mildew, mould, insects, rodents, and other animals.
Pests commonly encountered during cleaning may include:
These pests make the cavity their home, causing damage to your property and posing health risks. Infested cavities may contain animal droppings, fungal spores, decomposed insects, nests, and carcasses.
The accumulated debris can decompose into fine dirt particles, infiltrating your home through ceiling fixtures such as fans, lights, air conditioners, and any gaps caused by the strain on the ceiling cavity.
Unusual Findings in Ceiling Cavities
Aside from the common objects mentioned, your ceiling cavity may house unexpected guests based on your location, local fauna, and environmental conditions. If you have abundant trees or a nearby forest, you might encounter:
- Possums: These adaptable marsupials, especially brushtail possums, occasionally find their way into ceiling cavities, building nests or residing without one. To prevent possum infestation, it’s important to seal off any openings that possums can access.
- Pest Birds: Ceiling cavities attract various pest bird species, some of which nest in large numbers, causing significant issues for affected properties.
- Snakes: During ceiling cavity clean-ups, old snake skins are occasionally discovered. Snakes may enter the cavity searching for prey like rats and mice, sometimes establishing permanent residence.
In a bizarre incident, a Queensland resident even found an intruder residing in her ceiling cavity!
Cleaning your ceiling cavity should never be overlooked. Neglecting this essential process can lead to air pollution, severe health issues, and a perfect breeding ground for dangerous pests. Stay proactive in maintaining a clean and safe home environment.
To schedule an appointment or request a free quote for a ceiling cavity clean in Brisbane East, contact Gutter-Vac today!
- Facebook: Gutter-Vac Brisbane East | Redland Bay QLD | Facebook
- Instagram: Gutter-Vac Brisbane East (@guttervacbrisbaneeast) | Instagram